Positive #27 - To Rest from Work on the Seventh Day of Passover
January 24, 2022
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #27, which is rest from work on the Seventh Day of Passover.
- This mitzvah applies to the 21st day of Nissan, which is the seventh day of Passover. Outside of Israel, it also applies to the 22nd day of Nissan.
- Other than the date, this mitzvah is identical to positive mitzvah #25, which is to rest from work on the first day of Passover.
- Similar to the first day of Pesach, food related melachot (work activities) are permitted on the seventh day of Pesach, which is referred to as ochel nefesh.
- Our Sages teach that on the seventh day of Passover, the Red Sea split, the Egyptian army collapsed, and the Jewish people were finally freed from slavery.
- The days between the first and seventh days of Passover are known as Chol HaMoed.