Positive #26 - To Count 49 Days of the Sefirat Ha'Omer
January 21, 2022
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #26, which is count the 49 days, or the seven weeks, of the Sefirat Ha'Omer.
- The mitzvah is to count both the days and the weeks. For example, on the 20th day of the Sefirat Ha'Omer, one would say: "Today is the 20th day of the Omer, which is 2 weeks and 6 days."
- This is because there are two verses in the Torah: one to count weeks and another to count days. Therefore, we count both the days and weeks.
- The mitzvah to count begins on the evening of the 16th day of Nissan, which is the beginning of the second night of Passover. This date is the same for both inside and outside of Israel.
- The mitzvah is to count 49 days. The 50th day is the holiday of Shavuot, which we will mention in the upcoming positive mitzvah #28.
- In the podcast, we discuss the terminology of the blessing and the meaning of the word "omer."