Positive #21 - To Be Happy During the Holidays
January 04, 2022
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #21, which is to be happy during the Holidays of Pesach (Passover), Shavuot, and Sukkut.
- During the times of the Beit HaMikdash, one would offer an additional sacrifice, which would mostly be eaten by its owners. This was a way of partaking in an enjoyable meals.
- Nowadays, in the absence of the Beit HaMikdash, one fulfills this mitzva by eating enjoyable foods and drinks, such as meat and wine.
- A man should buy his wife a gift to increase her happiness on the Holiday, such as clothing.
- Parents should buy their children special items, such as sweets or toys.
- One should give charity to help those who are less fortunate also to fulfill this mitzva and enjoy the Holiday.
- As always, everything should be done in moderation. A person should not engage in overindulgence and drunkenness.