Positive #20 - To Rest from Work on Shabbat
January 03, 2022
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #20, which is rest from work on Shabbat.
- This positive mitzva has a corresponding negative mitzva of "not to work on Shabbat."
- Work is referred to as melacha, or melachot in plural.
- At a high level, a melacha is defined as an activity performed in the construction of the Mishkan, or the traveling Temple that the Jewish people had in the desert.
- There are also many subcategories, which were not necessarily performed in the construction of the Mishkan, but they are similar enough to be considered a melacha.
- There are 39 main melachot and many more subcategories.