Positive #18 - To Respect the Temple
December 27, 2021
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #18, which is respect or to fear the Beit HaMikdash, or the Temple.
- This mitzva applies to the portable Temple in the desert, known as the Mishkan, as well as to the Temple built in Jerusalem, known as the Beit HaMikdash. Examples of how to fear the Temple include:
- Not entering with shoes or dirty feet
- Not using it as a shortcut
- Certain areas were off limit to some people
- Even after the Beit HaMikdash was destroyed, one must conduct themselves with the same respect in the place of the Beit HaMikdash in Jerusalem.
- This mitzva applies, at least to some extent, to current day synagogues (batei kenessiyot) and study halls (batei midrashot).
- To maintain the decorum in the synagogues and study halls
- No frivolous laughter and levity
- No idle chatter
- No sleeping