Positive #14 - To Study and Teach Torah
December 20, 2021
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #14, which is to learn Torah and teach Torah.
- "Ve'shinantam" - "Teach [the Torah] repeatedly"
- The Torah should be studied repeatedly, not just once
- One should strive to be able to answer any question on the Torah, without any hesitation
- "Le'vanecha" - "to your children"
- This mitzvah also requires one to teach Torah their children
- If one cannot teach Torah themselves, they are required to ensure the child will receive a proper Torah education, for example through Jewish schools or tutors.
- "Yomam va'Layla" - day and night
- At a minimum, a person should study Torah every day and night
- A person should establish and set aside specific times to study Torah, to ensure that it does not get neglected
- "Talmud Torah keneged kulam"
- Torah study is of equal importance to all other mitzvot, because Torah study leads to action