Positive #12 - To Place a Mezuza on the Doorposts of our Entrances
December 15, 2021
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #12, which is to place a mezuza on the doorposts of our entrances.
- What is a mezuza?
- A scroll / parchment with the first two paragraphs of the Shema Yisrael written on in.
- What is the proper placement of the mezuza?
- On the right doorpost when entering the home
- The height should be about a third of the way down on the doorpost
- Should be placed on every doorpost in the home, except for a room that is dirty such as a bathroom
- There are different customs with respect to the angle: some place it completely vertically, and some place it on a slant
- What is a potential reason for this mitzvah?
- Before entering our home, it serves as a reminder that Hashem is present and that we should act properly.
- Disclaimer: In general, we don't know the reasons behind every mitzvah, but we can suggest possibilities, while also acknowledging that there might be other reasons, as well