Positive #10 - To Place Tzitzit on the Corners of Our Clothing
December 09, 2021
In this episode, we learn positive mitzvah #10, which is to place tzitzit, or strings / fringes, on the corners of our clothing.
If one has an article of clothing with four corners, this mitzvah is to place tzitzit on those corners.
- From the Torah, this applies to clothing made out of wool or made out of linen.
- For other materials, such as cotton, there is a Rabbinic requirement to place tzitzit on them, but not from the Torah.
- Different types of tzitzit & their blessings
- "Tallit", or "Tallit Gadol", or Prayer Shawl, which is worn during the morning tefila
- One would recite the blessing of "lehit'atef betzitzit"
- "Tzitzit Katan", which is worn underneath ones clothing throughout the day
- We don't typically make a blessing on this, since the blessing over the Tallit Gadol covers this.
- However, if one is in a situation where they are not wearing the Tallit Gadol, one would receive the blessing of "al mitzvat tzitzit"
- Purpose of the Mitzvah
- The mitzvah of tzitzit serves as a reminder to fulfill all the other mitzvot.
Concise Book of Mitzvot (Amazon link)
The Commandments Which Can Be Observed Today - English and Hebrew Edition, pocket size, hardcover
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.