Positive #8 and #9 - To Wear Tefillin on One's Arm and Head
December 08, 2021
In this episode, we learn two positive mitzvot.
- Mitzvah #8 is to wear tefillin on one's arm.
- Mitzvah #9 is to wear tefillin on one's head.
These are two distinct mitzvot, but given their similar nature, they are grouped together in this episode.
We discussed three topics related to the tefillin:
- Placement of the Tefillin
- Tefillin of the arm should be placed on the bicep of the non-dominant arm
- Tefillin of the head should be line up between one's eyes, placed above the hairline
- Contents of the Tefillin
- Four passages or paragraphs of the Torah are written on scrolls, placed within the tefillin. These passages all quote the mitzvah of wearing tefillin.
- For the head, they are placed in four separate compartments
- For the arm, they are placed within a single compartment
- How to Conduct Oneself While Wearing Tefillin
- One's thoughts should be pure and one's body should be clean